Enter your details. It only takes one minute.
We compare the market to find you the best 3 quotes
You receive your quotes directly from the provider
Vehicle Tracking & Fleet Management Comparison 2023
In this article we review 8 vehicle tracking providers including:
TomTom Vehicle Tracking
What is Vehicle Tracking & Fleet Management?
Vehicle tracking, also know as fleet management or GPS tracking are systems that help businesses or fleet managers monitor locations of their vehicles ensuring optimum safety and efficiency.
Vehicle tracking systems are usually connected via GPS and provide real-time tracking on all fleet vehicles via a user friendly software interface.
These vehicle tracking systems start from as little as £5.99+ VAT per vehicle per month and can increase to over £20+ VAT per vehicle per month.
What is GPS Tracking?
A GPS tracking (Global Positioning System tracking) device is a tiny satellite receiver that can pinpoint longitude and latitude coordinates on Earth. The device can also record speed and direction of travel, as well as engine performance, driver behaviours and vehicle maintenance issues. The GPS tracker transmits this data via satellite systems to the hardware within a vehicle, where it is collected and analysed. The data is then displayed to the user on a web-based map in real-time.
The most recent GPS tracking devices offer many features to help business owners improve their operations. For example, some devices will notify the owner of any breakdowns or equipment failures as soon as they occur, no matter where the vehicle or asset is located. This enables businesses to respond quickly and efficiently and prevents costly delays impacting customer service.
How Much Does Vehicle Tracking Cost?
The cost of vehicle tracking in the UK can vary from £5.99+ VAT per vehicle per month to upwards of £20+ VAT per vehicle per month.
The cost depends on several factors, such as:
– The type of tracking system
– Features included
– The number of vehicles to be tracked
– The service provider you choose.
– Whether the vehicle tracking systems are hardwired (installed directly into the vehicle) or portable (plug-and-play devices).
Here are some further cost considerations:
Vehicle Tracking Cost Considerations
|Equipment costs||The initial cost includes purchasing or renting the tracking devices. Hardwired systems typically have higher upfront costs due to installation requirements, while portable systems are generally more affordable.|
|Subscription fees||Most vehicle tracking systems require a subscription or service fee for ongoing monitoring, data management, and software access. Subscription costs can vary based on the features and level of service provided. They are usually charged monthly or annually per vehicle.|
|Additional features||Advanced features like real-time tracking, geofencing, driver behaviour monitoring, and customised reporting may come at an additional cost. These features can enhance the functionality and insights provided by the tracking system.|
|Installation & maintenance||For hardwired systems, installation costs need to be considered, which can vary depending on the complexity of the installation and the number of vehicles. Additionally, ongoing maintenance or support costs may be associated with the tracking system.|
Is Vehicle Tracking Legal in the UK?
In the United Kingdom, vehicle tracking is generally legal, but its usage is subject to specific regulations and considerations, such as employee consent, data protection, monitoring, and GPS jamming.
The law in the UK surrounding vehicle tracking outlines that it is OK to track business vehicles as long as this is done during working hours and with employee consent.
Fleet managers must be cautious as car tracking systems can gather much personal information about employees, such as their locations and driving behaviours. This severe breach of the laws protecting employee data privacy and civil liberties can lead to fines or legal action. The laws established in the Data Protection Act of 1998 set clear regulations on using and sharing this information and should be adhered to strictly.
What Are The Benefits of Vehicle Tracking?
Vehicle tracking offers several benefits, including:
– Improved fleet management
– Increased operational efficiency
– Enhanced driver safety
– Reduced fuel consumption
– Better route planning
– Timely maintenance
– Accurate billing
– Theft recovery capabilities & much more
In addition, most vehicle tracking companies offer automated dispatch that allows you to arrange a route at the beginning of every day, taking into account customer requests and unique delivery requirements. This reduces response times, increases productivity and helps you fit more jobs into a day for improved customer satisfaction.
It’s also easier to maintain your fleet and vehicles with vehicle tracking companies that provide maintenance reminders, which save time and money on repairs and fuel costs. Likewise, the ability to track your vehicles and assets will help prevent theft and vandalism.
Even industries that weren’t known to utilise the technology, such as luxury hotels with limousines for VIP guests, have used vehicle tracking creatively to improve their business processes and customer experience. In addition, car rental companies have integrated vehicle tracking devices into their fleets to ensure the best possible customer service.
Who are the Main Providers of Vehicle Tracking in the UK?
TomTom Vehicle Tracking
Who is TomTom?
TomTom Telematics are known for their reliability, the quality of their support and their ability to deliver on our commitments. They are the main location provider to the largest technology, telematics and automotive companies in the world. You can count on precise and predictive route planning with their speed profiles.
In addition, they collect detailed map attributes to provide verified speed limits, helping your customers understand driver behaviour and know where speed violations occur.
Make sure to read their Trustpilot reviews before committing to any company, as there are concerns over their customer service in the UK and transfer of data across apps.
Features of TomTom
- Their systems are built for fleets
- Flexible technology that is adaptable to your business
- A One-stop-shop that includes geocoding, APIs, maps, datasets
- Reliable APIs that are hosted on the leading cloud platforms
Teletrac Navman Vehicle Tracking
Who is Teletrac Navman Vehicle Tracking?
Teletrac Navman is a global provider of advanced GPS fleet management solutions. With a strong presence in the UK, Teletrac Navman offers a comprehensive range of telematics and vehicle tracking services designed to help businesses optimise their fleet operations and enhance driver safety. The company’s solutions provide real-time vehicle tracking, accurate mapping, route optimization, driver behaviour monitoring, and various reporting capabilities.
Teletrac Navman focuses on delivering actionable insights and actionable data to improve operational efficiency, reduce costs, and promote safer driving practices. They cater to a wide range of industries, including transportation, logistics, construction, utilities, and more.
Features of Teletrac Navman Vehicle Tracking
- Real-time Vehicle Tracking: they provide real-time tracking of vehicles, allowing businesses to monitor their fleet’s location, speed, and status at any given time.
- Route Optimisation: The solution offers route planning and optimization tools to help businesses find the most efficient routes.
- Driver Behaviour Monitoring: Teletrac Navman enables businesses to track and analyse driver behaviour, including speeding, harsh braking, and idling, to promote safer driving practices and reduce accidents.
- Geofencing: The system allows businesses to set up virtual boundaries (geofences).
- Reporting and Analytics: Teletrac Navman offers a range of customizable reports and analytics, providing insights into fleet performance, fuel usage, maintenance schedules, and driver behaviour.
- Mobile Applications: The company provides mobile applications that allow businesses to access fleet data, track vehicles, and receive alerts on the go.
- Integration Capabilities: Teletrac Navman’s solutions can integrate with other business systems such as dispatch software, CRM tools, and fuel cards.
Webfleet Vehicle Tracking
Who is Webfleet Vehicle Tracking?
Webfleet Solutions, formerly known as TomTom Telematics, is a prominent provider of fleet management and vehicle telematics solutions. The company offers a comprehensive suite of services to businesses of all sizes, helping them optimise fleet operations, improve driver safety, and enhance overall efficiency.
Webfleet Solutions provides real-time vehicle tracking, route planning and optimisation, driver behaviour monitoring, remote vehicle diagnostics, fuel management, and various reporting and analytics tools. Their solutions are designed to help businesses reduce costs, increase productivity, and make data-driven decisions for their fleets.
Features of Vehicle Tracking
- Real time track and trace allows you to locate your vehicles 24/7
- By monitoring and improving driver behaviour, you can cut fuel and maintenance costs
- You can optimise your business processes through integration with existing software
- Professional navigation and live traffic allows drivers to stay on the right route, or find appropriate detours
- Improve your service with seamless communication
- Stay compliant with mileage and working timesheets
Trakm8 Vehicle Tracking
Trakm8 Vehicle Tracking
Who are Trakm8?
Trakm8 is one of the UKs leading vehicle tracking systems. They offer tracking from anywhere between 2 and over 1000 vehicles, so chances are they will suit your business needs! They have over 318,000 devices installed in vehicles across the UK, and claim to be able to save your business up to 10% on fuel costs, 18% on preventative maintenance costs and over 20% on accident costs by sending real time information to your team.
Their prices are competitive, starting from only £5.99 per user, per month. Their vehicle trackers for vans, cars and trucks send regular location updates to our secure cloud server, and you’ll see your vehicles on a map in our easy-to-use vehicle tracking platform. With Trakm8, you can know where your vehicles are, and where they have been.
They offer a wide range of dash cam devices, ranging from a 12v cigarette lighter socket device to their award-winning RH600 4G Integrated Telematics Dash Cam. In addition, their unique scoring system scores every journey and can highlight poor driving over a period of time. Driver behaviour scores are based on harsh acceleration, harsh braking, harsh cornering, and excessive speeding.
Features of Trakm8
- Real-time Vehicle Tracking: Trakm8 enables businesses to track the location, speed, and status of their vehicles in real-time using GPS technology.
- Driver Behaviour Monitoring: The solution allows businesses to monitor driver behaviour, including speeding, harsh acceleration, and harsh braking, promoting safer driving practices and reducing fuel consumption.
- Route Planning and Optimisation: Trakm8 provides tools for efficient route planning, helping businesses optimise routes to reduce mileage, save fuel, and improve overall productivity.
- Vehicle Diagnostics and Maintenance: Trakm8’s solutions offer remote vehicle diagnostics, enabling businesses to monitor vehicle health, receive maintenance alerts, and prevent breakdowns or costly repairs.
- Fuel Management: Trakm8 assists businesses in managing fuel consumption by monitoring fuel usage, identifying inefficiencies, and detecting potential fuel theft or unauthorised usage.
- Geofencing: The solution allows businesses to set up virtual boundaries (geofences) and receive alerts when vehicles enter or exit designated areas, aiding in monitoring and enhancing security.
- Reporting and Analytics: Trakm8 provides detailed reports and analytics on fleet performance, fuel consumption, driver behaviour, and other key metrics, enabling businesses to gain valuable insights and make data-driven decisions.
Crystal Ball Vehicle Tracking
Who is Crystal Ball Vehicle Tracking?
Crystal Ball Telematics are trusted by thousands of SMEs and local governments across the UK. They offer cloud-based telematics solution systems, integrating vehicle tracking, 4g dash cams and lone worker protection apps, which can streamline and future proof your fleet tracking.
With Crystal Ball, you can monitor your fleet, offer driver incentives, and analyse trends to optimise your business. This can all save fuel costs, vehicle wear and tear, accident rates and insurance premiums. You and your driver can use the driver app to monitor and analyse potential dangerous driving. In addition, the driver app can show key performance indicators such as acceleration, cornering, braking, speeding and idling.
They are one of the Top 100 Trusted Brands in Fleet, which is a testament to their customer service and products. They offer award winning solutions, having won Innovation in Telematics awards two years in a row. They boast an impressive 4.8/5 google review rating, and importantly, are UK based, with their head office and dedicated support team located in Manchester.
Features of Crystal Ball Vehicle Tracking
- Real-time Vehicle Tracking: Crystal Ball offers real-time tracking capabilities, allowing businesses to monitor the location, speed, and status of their vehicles in real-time using GPS technology.
- Geofencing: The solution enables businesses to set up virtual boundaries (geofences) and receive alerts when vehicles enter or exit designated areas.
- Driver Behaviour Monitoring: Crystal Ball allows businesses to track driver behaviour, including speeding, harsh braking, and acceleration, promoting safer driving practices and reducing the risk of accidents.
- Route Planning and Optimisation: Crystal Ball provides tools for efficient route planning, helping businesses optimise routes to minimise mileage, save fuel, and improve overall productivity.
- Vehicle Diagnostics and Maintenance: Crystal Ball’s solutions include vehicle diagnostics capabilities, allowing businesses to monitor vehicle health, receive maintenance alerts, and proactively address maintenance needs.
- Reporting and Analytics: Crystal Ball offers comprehensive reporting and analytics features, providing businesses with insights into fleet performance, fuel consumption, driver behaviour, and other important metrics to support data-driven decision-making.
Road Angel Vehicle Tracking
Who is a Road Angel?
Road Angel won the Which? 2022 award Top 50 Products of the year for their vehicle tracking device. They offer NHS staff discounts, and boast an impressive array of awards provided by industry experts.
Their passion is to make your journeys safer through empowering motorists to make informed decisions about their driving. They are committed to creating innovative new technology which can help drive forward new solutions that can really make a difference.
Each of their products are rigorously tested and checked before being approved – guaranteeing performance. Their ground-breaking technology supports everything from dash cameras to speed awareness and integrated car stereos to help support motorists to stay safe on the road.
They have a UK based customer service team, positioned around the country, that report and record the ever-changing road conditions across the UK to ensure our members are as well informed as possible. They are driven by a mission to make motoring safer and more enjoyable for everyone, refining our products through focus groups and Beta-testing
Features of Road Angel
- Real-time Vehicle Tracking: Road Angel Telematics offers real-time tracking capabilities, allowing businesses to monitor the location, speed, and status of their vehicles using GPS technology.
- Driver Behaviour Monitoring: The solution enables businesses to track driver behaviour, including speeding, harsh braking, and acceleration, promoting safer driving practices and reducing the risk of accidents.
- Dash Cams: Road Angel Telematics often includes dashcams as part of their solutions, providing video recording of driving events for evidence, insurance claims, and driver behaviour analysis.
- Driver Assistance Features: Road Angel Telematics may offer additional driver assistance features such as lane departure warning, forward collision warning, or fatigue detection to enhance driver safety.
- Incident Management: The solution may include incident management capabilities, enabling businesses to receive instant alerts in the event of accidents, breakdowns, or other incidents to facilitate prompt response and assistance.
- Reporting and Analytics: Road Angel Telematics provides reporting and analytics features, offering insights into driver performance, vehicle utilisation, fuel consumption, and other important metrics to support informed decision-making.
Radius Telematics Vehicle Tracking
Who are Radius Telematics Vehicle Tracking?
Radius Telematics is one of the fastest growing telematics businesses in the world. They have a wide range of products, easy to use technology, leading functionality, a global presence, and great value for money. They specialise in vehicle tracking worldwide, with over 600,000 live tracking units throughout Europe, Asia, North America, Australia and Africa.
Their products and systems can be fitted into cars, vans, trucks, motorcycles, plant, equipment, machinery and other high value assets. They provide market leading products and services to all kinds of businesses, from those with just a few vehicles up to large commercial fleets.
Their web-based software is simple to use and available on your smartphone, tablet or PC. It lets you easily track your fleet’s location, speed and fuel consumption. They suit any sized business, but are especially suitable for larger businesses with more advanced features and data integrations that you can link to your current business systems.
Features of Radius Telematics Vehicle Tracking
- They have a wide range of products, suitable for small and large vehicle fleets
- Easy to use software gets you the information you need, quickly
- They offer market leading features and technology
- Competitive pricing to suit every need
- Local support – they have over 30 offices across 5 continents
- They have over 575,000 live tracked units over 36 countries, and 17 years experience (including a UK based team)
Civica Telematics Vehicle Tracking
Who are Civica Telematics Vehicle Tracking?
Civica is a global software and digital solutions provider that specializes in serving the public sector, including government organizations, healthcare providers, educational institutions, and other similar entities. The company offers a wide range of software applications, cloud-based solutions, and managed services to help public sector organisations streamline their operations, improve service delivery, and enhance citizen experiences.
Civica provides solutions in various areas, including finance and administration, customer relationship management, digital transformation, regulatory compliance, case management, document management, and more. They aim to support organizations in areas such as revenue management, digital citizen engagement, data analytics, and automation to optimize processes and deliver better outcomes.
With a presence in multiple countries, Civica has been serving public sector customers for over 40 years. They focus on delivering innovative and reliable software solutions tailored to the specific needs and challenges of their clients. Civica’s goal is to enable their customers to leverage technology to drive efficiency, enhance service quality, and transform the way they deliver public services.
Features of Civica Telematics Vehicle Tracking
- Case Management: Civica offers case management solutions for handling complex cases, facilitating collaboration, automating workflows, and ensuring efficient resolution.
- Document Management: Civica’s document management solutions enable secure storage, retrieval, and sharing of digital documents, fostering collaboration and ensuring document integrity.
- Data Analytics: Civica provides data analytics tools and dashboards that help organisations gain insights from their data, make informed decisions, and improve operational efficiency.
- Mobile Applications: Civica develops mobile applications that extend the reach of public services, allowing citizens and field workers to access information and complete tasks on-the-go.
Vehicle Tracking FAQS
A vehicle tracking system is a type of software used by transport, freight or other companies that provides the ability to monitor company vehicles’ location accurately. The software is usually connected via GPS, giving companies real-time feedback on the geographic position of their vehicles.
- Improves Trust
- Can reduce cost by utilising routes
- Can provide live customer service updates
- Improved inventory management
- Improves security
- Identification supply chain bottlenecks
- Real-time information about the delivery status
Aside from the above, vehicle tracking can inform drivers and managers when vehicles are due for a service or have any maintenance issues, improving efficiency and saving on unnecessary costs down the line.
In the UK, if employees are aware and have provided written consent to installing the tracking device in their vehicle, and you make every effort to safeguard the data collected as per the law, it’s legal.
- Taxi and Uber services
- Law enforcement, Fire and Ambulance services
- Rental companies
Business owners, fleet managers or individuals who drive company cars that are susceptible to theft will benefit the most from using fleet tracking on their vehicles.
A large number of automobiles made nowadays include integrated GPS tracking technology. This technology is used to monitor a vehicle’s heading and position. However, you cannot utilise this type of tracking to improve fleet optimisation, and it is recommended to install fleet tracking gps systems if you wish to use the data to improve efficiency and reduce costs legally.
Fleet tracking has many benefits, and will vary depending on your type of business. However, one of the greatest benefits a GPS offers is cost reduction. A good fleet management GPS will also increase fuel efficiency courtesy of route planning features, saving money on fuel and time needed to fill up, and you can also save on administrative costs.
With a good GPS fleet management system, you’ll be able to see if a driver takes a detour, makes any unauthorised stops, if they are close to exceeding approved hours, if they have any mechanical trouble, if they engage in any dangerous driving (i.e. going over the speed limit), or any other risky behaviour, amongst many other things. You can identify training needs and improve overall efficiency.
GPS devices for fleets have many additional features that let you plan more efficient routes, reduce fuel consumption, keep track of hours, store and sort data, avoid traffic and construction, and more.
Your drivers will be able to pair their phones with the device to get reports and information regarding their driving habits, routes, and overages, as most modern tracking devices can be paired to your smartphone or tablet, which allows you to monitor your fleet no matter where you are.
Usually, the company you have purchased or leased your fleet tracking devices from will install them to ensure it is done correctly and follows all compliance regulations. However, how to install your GPS depends on the type of device you are using. If you use a hardwired machine, they will be installed under the dashboard and require a 3-wire installation.
Some common features include:
- Fuel consumption
- Hours of Service
- Speed of vehicle in operation
- Engine run time
- Geofencing status
- Fleet mileage tracking
- Instances of unsafe driving practices, such as hard braking, speeding or running a red light.
No, it is completely legal for a company to track their business vehicles when being used for business purposes and this data must only be used for legitimate purposes. Employees must be aware that a vehicle is being tracked, or when a device is being installed.
Fleet managers can utilise GPS tracking to determine shorter routes for their drivers throughout the day with less traffic and therefore cover less distance for their deliveries. As we all know, faster delivery times result in happy customers.
Relying solely on GPS can be problematic if there is a signal failure or you are using a battery-powered device that runs out of power because of a failed car battery. You should always be equipped with a backup plan, such as hard copy maps and customer or routing information, or your team could easily get lost or confused.
It really varies on the type of tracking device used, and the features you need. The most basic vehicle trackers can be as low as £7.20 per vehicle, per month to lease. To buy a system outright, you’ll spend upwards of £200 per unit, plus installation costs of £50 to £100 per unit.
1. Use a GPS Tracking System
2. Plan for preventative rather than reactive maintenance of vehicles
3. Use relevant and up-to-date metrics
4. Register Vehicle Assets in a secured asset management system.
Customers rely on faster delivery times of the goods or the purchased services. Using a fleet tracking system, office staff or managers can provide them with the real-time location of a vehicle and ensure that deliveries arrive on schedule. By providing your customers with quality service, you can build trust and secure repeat and lasting customers.
Other useful links…
- Is it Worth Getting a Fuel Card For Your Fleet in 2023?
- Vehicle Tracking Software for Fleets
- How Do I Monitor My Fleet of Vehicles?
- What Is the Best Fuel Card For Small Businesses In 2023?
- What Are the Features of Fleet Tracking?
- Turning off Fleet Tracking in the UK
- How Do I Install a Fleet Tracker?
- What Are the Best Fuel Cards in 2023?
- How Does GPS Fleet Tracking Work?
- Improve Fleet Efficiency With Truck Fleet Tracking
- 4 Benefits of a Company Car Tracker
- 4 Important Benefits of Business Vehicle Tracking
- How Fleet Tracking Can Transform Your Business
- What Does Fleet Tracking Entail?
- How GPS Fleet Management Can Benefit Transportation and Service Businesses
- Van Tracking Systems
- What Is Fleet Monitoring System?
- What Is GPS Fleet Management?
- Reduce Fleet Costs With Vehicle Tracking
- How Does a Vehicle Tracking System Work?
- What Are the Benefits of Vehicle Tracking Devices?
- 13 Steps to Effective Fleet Driver Management - How to Manage Your Drivers
- How Do You Control Your Fleet? 13 Steps to Help You Be More Efficient!
- Who Owns the Vehicles in Your Fleet?
- The Main Functions of Fleet Management in 2023
- What Are the Purposes of Fleet Management?
- Using Vehicle Tracking Gauges to Optimise Your Fleet Operations
- The Importance of Fleet Data
- The Benefits of Asset Tracking
- What Is the Purpose of Fleet Tracking?
- Top 5 Commercial Vehicle Tracking Systems
- What Is a DVLA Fleet?
- The Benefits of Fleet Tracking for Small Businesses
- Telematics for Your Fleet
- How Much Do Vehicle Tracking Systems Cost?
- Types of Vehicle Speed Monitoring Systems
- Telematics Fleet Tracking and Self-Driving Vehicles
- How GDPR Affects UK Law For Vehicle Tracking Devices
- Best Cheap Vehicle Tracking Systems
- GPS Courier Tracking - 4 Benefits to Using GPS Tracking!
- Factors to Consider When Comparing Vehicle Tracking Suppliers
- Movolytics - The Benefits of Vehicle Tracking
- Telematics for Electric Vehicle Fleet Management
- AMS Tracking Solutions
- Vehicle Tracking With iPhone
- The Best HGV Vehicle Tracking Systems in 2023
- Fleet Management and Vehicle Tracking
- Quartix Vehicle Tracking
- GPS Fleet Tracking Solutions For Taxi Cabs
- How to Install a GPS Tracker on Your Vehicle
- 8 Benefits of Trailer Tracking
- Ram Vehicle Tracking For Businesses
- 3 Reasons Why You Should Invest in Commercial Vehicle Tracking
- Van Tracking Systems: Are They Worth the Money?
- Teletrac Navman Review