Southend Energy is a contract electricity supplier in Southend-on-Sea that provides electric supply companies throughout England, Wales and Scotland with regulated gas quality standards for bulk customers. Recently, they were awarded Company of the year at the Great British Business Awards. Southend Energy has since ceased its operations, and its customer base has been transitioned to British Gas. Southend Energy previously operated under a white-label agreement with Robin Hood Energy. In September 2020, Robin Hood Energy, including its Southend Energy customers, was acquired by British Gas.
If you would like to read more information or learn more about the pricing of business energy, you can do so here.
Southend Energy is a partnership between Southend-on-Sea Borough Council and OVO Energy, a UK-based energy supplier. Southend Energy aimed to provide residents of Southend-on-Sea with a locally operated and competitively priced energy supply service. It was one of several initiatives by local UK authorities to offer residents affordable and green energy options. Southend Energy is also a supplier of domestic and business electricity and gas. They are based in Southend-on-Sea, Essex, England and currently employ over 60 staff members in their sales, customer service and trading departments. Southend Energy has a market share position of almost 2%.
Advantages of Southend Energy:
- It’s green energy tariffs: Southend Energy provides its customers with a range of ‘green’ energy tariffs, offering fixed-price, discount and market-leading renewable generation tariffs. The company has been awarded the Green Electricity Verified status through the Energy Saving Trust and is a Broker of record with National Grid. It also offers a range of ‘green’ renewable fuel certificates (RFX), traded on the Renewable Energy Certificate Market by qualifying RFX suppliers.
- The sustainability work: Southend Energy actively promotes greater awareness of the importance of sustainable business practices in their local area and supports the local community for green projects. The company has also been awarded Environmental Agency Licensed Emissions Reductions Verifier and Carbon offsetting company status.
- Renewable energy installations: Southend Energy provides customers a range of renewable energy solutions, including roof-mounted solar panels. The company can provide a complete install solution and a monthly payment plan and even continue to supply existing electricity while generating power from the solar panels. Southend Energy also has its own Southend Energy Renewables business, providing solar PV installation services since 2007.
- The company structure: Southend Energy provides various services through its in-house team of experienced renewable energy consultants, including Solar PV installations, fuel switching facilities and domestic renewable package solutions.
- The online presence: Southend Energy’s consumer website receives over 140,000 visitors annually. The company also has an online community on Facebook and Twitter and an email contact database of over 20,000 people. Southend Energy also has a dedicated business website to provide confidential support to its customers that utilise the green energy tariffs. The contact details will never be shared with any third parties without the customer’s consent.
- The business case: Southend Energy stepped into the small but growing market for renewable energy in 2004, when it launched its first-ever green tariff. In 2010 Southend Energy became a member of the PowerGen Group Limited, one of the UK’s largest independent energy companies. This strategic acquisition helped the company expand and grow faster with broader access to new resources.
- Solar electricity tariffs: As part of its Solar PV supply partnership with Southend Energy Renewables, customers have installed solar panels on their roofs. They are now generating solar power to reduce their electricity bills further.
Southend Energy aims to deliver competitively priced electricity and gas supply products. This Southend energy company supplies its customers via the Npower distribution network, Feed-In-Tariff schemes and by producing its green gas on-site at a dedicated plant in Essex. Southend Energy is an Environmental Agency Licensed Emissions Reductions Verifier and Carbon offsetting company and a Broker of record with the Renewable Heat Incentive Scheme.
Green Energy Plans
They offer competitive ‘green’ (renewable) tariffs for electricity, domestic electricity & gas supply, home renewable installations and related consultancy services. They also have ‘green’ tariffs for business customers seeking to reduce their carbon footprint or generate green power. Their tariffs include fixed price, discount and market-leading renewable generation tariffs.
At Southend Energy, 80% of domestic customers who renew their electricity or gas supply stay with it after the initial contract period ends. This is down to the company’s high level of service and good value green energy tariffs. The average tenure of a customer’s energy contract is three years.
Southend Energy was established in 2004 and started trading from Essex, UK, before moving to its current head office location in Southend-on-Sea, Essex, UK. It is now a part of the PowerGen Group Limited, one of the UK’s largest independent energy companies.
In 2005, Southend Energy won the Enron Award for Consumer Services and had come top of their electricity supplier category in Which? Energy reports since 2006. In 2010 they were voted runner up in the ‘Best Small Supplier’ category at The Great British Business Awards. In 2014 they were awarded ‘Company of the Year’ at The Great British Business Awards and had been finalists in the large supplier category in previous years.
Find out more about switching business energy providers here.
Other useful links about Business Energy
Crown Gas and Power
Remember to Compare Your Business Costs is here to help your business every step of the way from business advice, or saving you time and money on your business purchases such as:
Ally Cox is a dedicated Copywriter and Blogger for CompareYourBusinessCosts.co.uk. In under two years, the platform achieved the esteemed accolade of ‘Website of the Year’. Since its award-winning debut, Ally has been instrumental in fostering organic growth for the website, expanding its offerings to encompass comparisons across a diverse range of over 20 products to help serve all your business needs.