11 ways to reduce your business energy usage.
Fluctuating business costs are never welcomed by business owners. Business Energy is unpredictable from month to month & for most CEO’s its low on their list of priorities to look at. However over £24 billion is spent each year in the UK by businesses, within that cost there is huge room for saving & our tips should help.
Depending on the size of your business you could save hundreds or thousands of pounds each year just by introducing simple ways of working that reduce your business energy consumption. Some of the tips we have for you may sound basic but the facts are most businesses don’t follow them – despite most of us trying to in our own homes.
Our Best Business Energy Tips :
- Switch off – Probably one of the most obvious ways is to make sure staff are turning off all computers, kitchen appliances, air con units, electronic devices & anything else you have in your office that uses gas or electric! For businesses who operate a full office 24/7 this is nearly impossible. But most of us have offices that work certain hours, so if that’s 9-5 then after 5 get it ingrained in your company culture that everything energy consuming needs to be turned off.
- Get yourself an energy audit – No one likes the word Audit, but this one isn’t the scary kind. Most business energy suppliers will offer a free energy audit, which simply figures out where your energy use is going & how you can help reduce that.
- Go Natural – I’m not talking about going to work naked here, I’m talking about lights! Lighting is one of the biggest uses of energy for most businesses. If you are lucky enough to have good lighting naturally then turn the lights off when you can. This can also helps your employees get less headaches, reduce depression, increase vitamin D levels & reduce risks associated with florescent lights, so its win-win for everyone.
- Turn your lights down low – Aside from it being an awesome song, its a great reminder for us all to check our computer screen brightness and if you are really fancy blue light filters. Reducing the brightness is another weapon in the fight against high business energy costs & another win-win as it also helps reduce strain on your staff’s eyesight, especially the ones glued to a screen all day.
- Switch to Energy Saving Bulbs – This is an easy and simple way to save on your business energy – Its so simple that many of us don’t even think about what bulbs we have at work. But this simple switch can mean you use up to 80% less electricity than when using traditional bulbs for the same amount of time. If you are like me & always forget to pick up bulbs Amazon have some good offers that come straight to your door!
- Purchase Energy Efficient Office Equipment – Another simple tip to remember. When you replace your office equipment look out for features like automatic shut down,dimmer switches etc. Switching to equipment that shuts down after periods of inactivity can save up to 50% of what you would have spent on it if it was running continuously.
- Start an Energy Management system (EMS) – This is a system that will show you how much energy your business is using & allow you to be as energy efficient as possible. By keeping on top of where you are consuming the most energy you can implement strategies to reduce the use.
- Check your windows & doors – When I was a child if I left a door open my mum would always shout “were you born in a barn?!” – With good reason! Any drafts you may have can literally mean you are throwing money out the window/door. Ensuring your employees are shutting doors & windows can add up over time & is a great energy efficient habit to get into.
- Energy Efficient Notices – Once you identify where your business spends the most energy & have educated your staff gentle reminders can help ensure the culture of energy efficiency becomes ingrained in your day to day business. These can be as simple as “Make sure you unplug the kettle after use” by the kettle.
- Go paperless – Printing is a big use of most businesses energy so if you can save how much you print & go as digital as possible you will not only be saving on energy costs but ink will last longer too. We don’t even have a printer in this office – with the use of cloud platforms everything is stored online so its worked really well for us & is much easier than you may think!
- Put monitors to sleep – Your IT team should be able to program all computers and laptops to have sleep mode activated after a period of time where they are not used. Some systems will allow you to program it to turn off completely which will save even more on your business energy.
Saving energy will not just help your business costs but also the planet. We live in a time, thankfully, where that’s becoming more of a focus for so many of us & if everyone did their bit to implement positive change we could make a huge difference for future generations.
The final tip for saving money on your business energy costs is to get yourself a Free Comparison. Much like how we use them for our car insurance it can save you over 40% by simply running a comparison & switching to a cheaper provider. In fact nearly 50% of our customers actually stay with the same provider but still save money because of our comparison! We can also help you make the switch to a green energy supplier if you wanted to look at those options.
Either way we would be happy to help & if you have any questions we would love to hear from you.