A Guide to How to Obtain a Business Phone Number
Using your phone number for business calls is no big deal at first. But as you grow and add employees, a dedicated business number will help your clients reach you faster and keep your personal life and work separate. Business numbers can be bought on their own, or they can be a part of more advanced business phone systems with call management features designed for small businesses.
If you would like to read more information or learn more about the pricing of business mobile phones, you can do so here.
How to Obtain a Business Phone Number
- Determine Your Needs
- Choose a Number Type
- Select a Phone Service Provider
- Decide on a Local or Virtual Presence
- Register with a VoIP Service
- Check the Availability of Numbers
- Provide Business Information
- Select Features and Plans
- Complete the Setup Process
- Forward Calls to Your Devices
- Update Business Materials
- Test the System
- Promote Your New Number
|Best Mobile Phone Companies UK
- Roaming for no extra charge in 48 locations
- Option to cap your data usage
- Six months’ free Apple Music
- 24 months TNT Sports app
standard 4G network covered 99% of the UK population
- Free Wi-Fi in 16,000 locations throughout the UK
- priority booking at O2 venues and offers with O2 Rewards
- Pay as you go customers also get 10% of their top-ups back every three months
99% combined 3G and 4G outdoor population coverage across the UK
- Vodafone customers on 4G Red plans qualify for 6 months free use of music streaming service on Spotify or Sky Sports
- Pay monthly contracts
- Stream video and music without using any of your data allowance
- Inclusive roaming in 110 destinations
4G service covers over 97% of the UK population
- Customers on select contracts also get use of Go Binge
- Roaming in 71 locations for no extra charge
4G network covers 91% of the UK population
- Tesco Clubcard points every time customers pay their monthly contracts or add PAYG credit
- Inclusive roaming in 48 locations
- Family perks offers free monthly incentives
- Customers on a budget can set a cap on their monthly spend
combined 4G and 5G coverage of 99% of the UK population.
- Keen price points, with generous allowances for the money.
- Inclusive roaming in 37 locations in the EU and beyond
- Option to change allowance from month to month
- Money off when customers recommend GiffGaff
3G and 4G mobile phone coverage and speeds in line with O2, which means you’ll get 99% combined 4G and 3G UK coverage.
What is a Business Phone Number?
A business phone number is a dedicated line that you can use to communicate with customers, clients, and partners. Unlike personal mobile numbers, business numbers are only available during business hours and safeguard your privacy by keeping work calls separate from your ones. They also elevate your brand by upholding a professional image and adding credibility to your company.
A business number has features designed to help your team manage incoming calls and texts. It can be assigned to individual team members or connected to a virtual phone system that lets you make and receive business calls from anywhere. These systems are more convenient and cost-effective than traditional landlines.
In addition to providing a dedicated business number, some virtual phone systems offer additional features like call recording, conferencing, and auto-recording to help you streamline communication with clients. They also provide a mobile app that can be used to make and receive calls on your business number from any device.
B2B sales teams can use business phone numbers to find the direct lines of decision-makers at targeted companies to build relationships with potential leads. Cold calling is still a popular and effective marketing tactic, and having the correct number makes it easier to engage with target companies.
How Do I Get a Business Phone Number?
There are a few different ways to get a business phone number. The most common way is through a dedicated business phone system provider. They typically offer a monthly or annual plan with a business phone number and other advanced call management features designed with small businesses in mind.
Another option is using a mobile app that adds a second business number to your smartphone. This way, you can answer calls with your business number without risking your privacy and save money on separate business cell phone plans. LinkedPhone, for example, lets you choose a local or toll-free business phone number and then connects it directly to your phone. This is an ideal solution for small business owners and solopreneurs who want to protect their numbers and have the flexibility of working from anywhere.
Lastly, you can also purchase business numbers from third-party services offering business contact information databases. These databases are often designed for recruiters, so they can be used to find the right people to speak with at specific companies. These tools also include features like call screening, call analytics and integrations to help you maximise your time.
Regardless of the type of business number you select, consider how each option will fit with your current and future goals. For instance, a local number may not be appropriate for an e-commerce or national business expanding to other regions. On the other hand, a toll-free number is an excellent option for customers out of state or country.
What are the Options For Getting a Business Phone Number?
A business phone number is a way to show potential customers and clients that your company has a real presence in the local or national marketplace. It’s one of the most important aspects of a business’s brand and features prominently in all marketing and advertising campaigns. Getting a business phone number is easy, and most providers offer a variety of advanced calling features that can help you deliver a professional customer-call experience.
Most business VoIP providers offer a virtual phone number for businesses that can be used on any mobile device, landline phone or desktop app. This means employees can use their work numbers without worrying about mixing up personal calls, texts or voicemails. This type of business phone number often comes with additional advanced calling and integration features that can streamline call management and support a better work-life balance for your team.
If you’re running a small, one-person business, using your phone number for all business communication might seem more manageable. But as your business grows and you add more employees, a dedicated business number will make things much easier for everyone involved. It’s also worth considering the benefits of a business phone number early in your planning process to ensure you have all the tools you need as soon as your startup grows.
What are the Benefits of Getting a Business Phone Number?
While email and instant messaging apps are convenient for business communication, nothing beats the personal touch of speaking to a representative over the phone.
- Business numbers not only allow businesses to differentiate their professional presence but also improve the privacy and professionalism of business communications.
- Getting a business number is easy and affordable, providing multiple benefits to your company to help you grow.
- Some companies save money by having employees use their phones for business calls and texts, which can lead to higher hidden costs and less-than-efficient operations.
- Using a personal phone number makes separating work and home life difficult. A dedicated business phone line helps employees maintain a healthy work-life balance and reduce burnout.
- A business number can be paired with a VoIP or unified communications as a service (UCaaS) phone system to add additional features like call monitoring and recording, power dialers, auto-attendant, voicemail transcription, analytics and more.
While there are many ways to get a business phone number, the most reliable way is to choose a provider that offers these services as part of a complete business solution. This will ensure you have a single, integrated platform that can connect all your devices, whether desktops or mobile.
Obtain a Business Phone Number – Other Useful links about business mobile phones:
The Samsung S20 Fan Edition – Specs, Price, and Availability
Buying an iPhone 13 Pro From EE
What’s Happening to Roaming Charges?
Remember to Compare Your Business Costs is here to help your business every step of the way, from business advice or saving you time and money on your business purchases such as:
Ally Cox is a dedicated Copywriter and Blogger for CompareYourBusinessCosts.co.uk. In under two years, the platform achieved the esteemed accolade of ‘Website of the Year’. Since its award-winning debut, Ally has been instrumental in fostering organic growth for the website, expanding its offerings to encompass comparisons across a diverse range of over 20 products to help serve all your business needs.