Enter your details. It only takes one minute.
We compare the market to find you the best 3 quotes
You receive your quotes directly from the provider
Best UK Fuel Card & Fleet Card Services Compared 2023
In this article we compare 7 of the UK’s best fuel card providers including:
Fuel Card Services
What Are Fuel Cards?
Fuel cards, also known as fleet cards or fuel credit cards, are specialised payment cards issued by fuel companies or financial institutions. They are primarily used by businesses and fleet operators to conveniently purchase fuel and related services. Fuel cards offer a cashless payment method for fuel expenses and often come with additional features such as expense tracking, reporting tools, and potential discounts or rewards tied to fuel purchases.
A company fuel card allows employees who travel a lot to save money with every fill-up. The best cards offer discounted branded fuel and so-called wholesale pricing. They also provide perks like eco-friendliness and comprehensive network coverage. UK Fuels Fleetone, for example, offers a mobile app and a partnering station network of more than 3,800 sites.
A company fuel card can save time and money in many ways. It can reduce the chance of lost receipts and connects directly to the accounting system, allowing business owners to view spending and odometer readings in real-time. In addition, some cards offer rebates on fuel purchases and discounts on other travel categories.
Some fleet fuel cards have precise purchasing controls so the company can decide when and where to buy fuel and other items. They can also control merchant categories and limit how much drivers can spend.
Some cards can reduce fuel costs by leveraging the buying power of significant fuel distributors. For example, a WEX Fleet Card is accepted at 95% of gas stations across the country and offers fuel rebates for frequent users. They can even offer so-called wholesale pricing to their customers. This can save businesses a significant amount of money over the long term.
Are There Downsides to Using Fleet Cards?
While fuel cards have many benefits, there are a few downsides. These can include potential restrictions on where the card can be used, limited fuel station options, transaction fees or card issuance fees, the requirement to maintain minimum fuel volumes, and potential challenges in reconciling fuel receipts with the card statement. Additionally, some businesses may find that the administrative burden of managing fuel cards outweighs the benefits for their specific needs.
The primary downside to using fuel cards is that it will likely require more admin work, mainly when used by drivers. Drivers must manually capture vehicle registration and mileage information, but implementing a reliable mileage tracker can easily solve this issue.
Another issue is that fuel card companies can restrict the network of gas stations that accept their cards. This can be a hassle for fleets that need to travel across the country and use a variety of gas station networks.
However, fuel cards have significant advantages compared to traditional methods of purchasing diesel for your trucks. They provide more detailed information about gas purchases, saving time and money when calculating taxes. They also make it easier to control fuel costs, and most cards clearly understand fees. This makes them a good choice for small businesses looking to streamline their fleet management processes.
What Do Fuel Cards Cost?
The cost of fuel cards can vary depending on the provider and the specific features offered. Generally, fuel cards may have a nominal annual fee per card or account, transaction fees for each fuel purchase, and potential fees for additional services such as reporting or card replacement. It’s advisable to compare different fuel card providers to understand the associated costs and choose a card that aligns with the business’s fuel consumption and requirements.
Fuel Card Cost Considerations
|Some fuel card providers may charge an annual fee per card. The fee can range from £10 to £50 or more per card, depending on the provider and the level of service offered.|
: Fuel card providers may apply transaction fees for each fuel purchase made using the card. These fees can be a fixed amount per transaction (e.g., 1p per litre) or a percentage of the transaction value. Transaction fees can vary depending on the fuel card provider and the specific card program.
|Account Management Fees:||
Some providers may charge ongoing account management fees for maintaining and servicing your fuel card account. These fees can be a monthly or annual charge ranging from a few pounds to several pounds per month.
Some fuel card providers offer online account management, reporting tools, mileage tracking, or fuel management software. These services may come at an additional cost, and the pricing can vary depending on the provider and the level of service required.
Many fuel card programs offer fuel discounts or rebates, which can help reduce the overall fuel expenses for your company. The amount of discount or rebate offered can vary depending on the fuel card provider, the fuel stations included in the network, and the volume of fuel purchased.
It’s important to note that these are general cost considerations, and actual prices may vary depending on the specific fuel card provider and the terms of the agreement. It is advisable to request quotes from multiple providers, compare their offerings, and consider factors such as the fuel station network, customer support, additional services, and any restrictions or limitations associated with the fuel card program.
Furthermore, the potential cost savings and benefits of using company fuel cards should be evaluated in conjunction with your business’s fuel consumption patterns, the convenience and control offered by the fuel card program, and any potential administrative efficiencies gained.
In addition to providing significant savings on fuel, a high-quality business fuel card can transform vehicle expense reporting from a cumbersome manual process to a robust management and control tool. It can limit what types of road expenses are allowed, help prevent real-time cost risks like fuel theft and car wash fraud, and provide much more granular data than a regular business credit card does.
Choosing the right card for your fleet involves weighing many factors, including region, discounts, fees, and controls. While the best cards offer a variety of benefits, they may require a one-time account setup fee or monthly administrative fees. These fees are often assessed per gallon or in the form of a percentage of the total cost of each purchase.
Some cards are explicitly designed for owner-operators and provide retail-minus pricing at 95% of UK petrol stations and truck stops. This card can help you save on diesel fuel, maintenance and truck supplies. It also offers an optional rewards program that allows you to earn points on fuel purchases to redeem for food, drink, truck accessories, and other items.
Should I Use A Fuel Card?
Businesses should consider using fuel cards as they offer several advantages, including streamlined expense management, cost control, enhanced convenience, and improved security. Fuel cards provide detailed reports and centralised billing, making it easier to track and analyse fuel expenses, set spending limits, and simplify the reimbursement process.
Fuel cards benefit companies of all sizes, including reduced fuel costs, improved mileage, and better protection against misuse. They also have easy-to-use online management systems that streamline administration and tax time. Additionally, they offer real-time insight into fleet spending, which can help businesses quickly identify inefficient purchasing habits and take corrective action.
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, these cards can offer additional services like discounts on maintenance, repairs, and even oil services. They can also save businesses on road and tunnel tolls across Europe. They can also give customers access to a massive network of stations and truck stops in the UK.
Fuel cards are an excellent option for any business that needs to track fuel expenses and improve its fleet’s efficiency. They can also be combined with telematics for more advanced tracking and control over vehicles. To find the best UK fuel card company for your business read reviews and ratings from previous customers.
Who are the Main Suppliers of Fuel Cards in the UK?
Shell Fuel Cards
Who are Shell Fuel Cards?
Shell Fuel Cards allow users to purchase fuel and related services at Shell fuel stations and selected partner sites across the UK and internationally. They are payment cards designed for businesses and fleet operators to manage their fuel expenses.
Shell Fuel Cards provide access to a large network of Shell fuel stations, offering widespread coverage across the UK. Additionally, some Shell fuel cards may also be accepted at partner stations, expanding the refuelling options available to cardholders.
Shell Fuel Cards often come with competitive fuel pricing, discounts, or special offers. These cost-saving features can help businesses effectively manage their fuel expenses, potentially leading to significant savings over time.
Shell Fuel Cards provide detailed transaction reports and analytics, giving businesses valuable insights into their fuel expenditure. These reports help businesses track and analyse fuel consumption patterns, identify cost-saving opportunities, and optimise fleet performance.
Features of Shell Fuel Cards
- Large network – These cards give you access to 1,100 Shell stations across the UK offering coverage across motorways, main transit routes and in towns and cities.
- On site facilities – on-site facilities include food and drink through our partnerships with Deli2Go and Costa coffee, restroom facilities as well as Wi-Fi and seating areas.
- Station locator – Download maps and find Shell sites nearby with our Station locator so you never have to detour or take diversions again.
- National/International acceptance – you can choose where your drivers can use their Shell Fuel Card.
- Motorist app – Stay time-and-cost-efficient with Shell.
Who are the Main Providers of Payroll Services in the UK?
Who are BP Fuel Cards
BP Fuel Cards are payment cards specifically designed for businesses and fleet operators to manage their fuel expenses. These cards allow users to purchase fuel and related services at BP fuel stations and other selected partner sites across the UK and internationally.
Fuel cards offer businesses greater control over fuel spending. They provide detailed transaction reports, allowing businesses to track and monitor fuel usage, expenses, and driver behaviour. This data can be valuable for budgeting, cost analysis, and optimising fuel efficiency.
BP Fuel Cards typically come with online account management tools. These platforms enable businesses to access real-time information, manage card limits, set spending restrictions, and generate reports, providing enhanced control and visibility over their fuel management.
It’s important to note that specific features and benefits of BP Fuel Cards may vary depending on the card type and the agreement with the provider. Businesses should carefully consider their requirements and compare offerings from different providers to choose the most suitable fuel card solution for their needs.
Features of BP Fuel Cards
- Innovative – they provide innovative energy and fleet mobility solutions for fleets of all shapes and sizes.
- Flexible – tailored pricing models
- Protection – comprehensive fraud protection
- Easy to use – oversee your whole fleet from a single dashboard and control your costs
- Small businesses – enjoy less paperwork
Esso Fuel Cards
Who are Esso
Esso Fuel Cards are payment cards specifically designed for businesses and fleet operators to manage their fuel expenses. These cards allow users to purchase fuel and related services at Esso fuel stations and selected partner sites across the UK and internationally.
Esso Fuel Cards often come with competitive fuel pricing, discounts, or special offers, which can help businesses save on their fuel expenses. These cost-saving features can contribute to better budget management and overall operational savings.
Esso Fuel Cards typically come with online account management tools, allowing businesses to conveniently monitor and manage their fuel card accounts. Users can access real-time information, track transactions, and generate customised reports for better financial control.
Esso Fuel Cards provide access to a network of Esso fuel stations, offering a wide coverage across the UK. Additionally, some Esso fuel cards may also be accepted at partner stations, allowing users to refuel at a broader range of locations.
Features of Esso
- Nectar points – Earn points at Esso branded service stations across the UK.
- Online account management – Using WEX Velocity. you can order and block cards, monitor usage and driver performance as well as find your closest fuel station – saving you time and money spent driving around to find an accepted site.
- UK wide coverage – the Esso card is accepted at a widespread network of fuel stations across the UK – including motorway sites, and Esso, BP and Shell – so you’re never far from a fill-up.
- Quality – when tested on everyday cars, Esso Synergy Diesel helped improve fuel economy by an average of 1.8%**.
- Compliant – invoices are HMRC compliant, making administration and accounting much simpler.
- Improved cash flow – Instead of paying for fuel using cash and keeping receipts, you will receive a weekly invoice and pay via direct regular debit.
Allstar Fuel Cards
Who are Allstar
Allstar Fuel Cards are payment cards specifically designed for businesses and fleet operators to manage their fuel expenses. These cards provide access to a network of fuel stations across the UK, including major brands such as BP, Shell, Esso, Texaco, and more
Allstar Fuel Cards often come with competitive fuel pricing, discounts, or negotiated rates, enabling businesses to save on their fuel costs. The ability to access a broad range of fuel stations allows businesses to choose the most cost-effective option for their fleet.
Allstar Fuel Cards offer comprehensive reporting tools that provide businesses with detailed insights into their fuel usage and expenses. These reports help track fuel consumption, identify potential areas for cost optimisation, and monitor driver behaviour for improved efficiency.
Allstar Fuel Cards offer access to a wide network of fuel stations, allowing users to refuel at various locations conveniently. This network includes major fuel brands, independent fuel stations, and truck-friendly sites, providing flexibility and convenience for fleet operators.
Features of Allstar
- Save money – Allstar is the UK’s largest fuel card network. They offer savings on diesel and provide insights to help cut fuel costs
- Save time – they look after all your payment needs so you can focus on more important things
- Switch easily with EV – They help hundreds of businesses manage fuel payments
- Experienced – they have over 40 years experience so know how to help customers with their payment needs
Keyfuels Fuel Cards
Who are Keyfuels
Keyfuels is a leading provider of fuel card solutions for businesses and fleet operators in the UK. They specialise in offering fuel cards designed specifically for commercial vehicles, including vans, trucks, and haulage fleets.
Keyfuels fuel cards provide access to a network of fuel stations across the UK, which includes major fuel brands, independent fuel stations, and truck-friendly sites. This network is designed to cater to the unique needs of commercial vehicles, offering convenient refuelling options for businesses with large or specialised fleets.
Keyfuels has a wide network of fuel stations, including over 2,250 sites across the UK. These stations are strategically located to provide convenient access for commercial vehicles, ensuring that businesses can refuel their vehicles efficiently.
Keyfuels fuel cards often come with competitive pricing, negotiated rates, and potential savings on fuel costs. This can help businesses effectively manage their fuel expenses and optimise their overall operational costs.
Lastly, Keyfuels provides comprehensive online account management tools that allow businesses to monitor and manage their fuel card accounts. This includes real-time transaction monitoring, detailed reporting, and the ability to set spending limits and restrictions.
Features of Keyfuels
- An international business with local roots – Keyfuels is based in Walsall. So when you call us you’re speaking with someone who understands your market, your business and your pressures.
- Experienced – They have more than 100 years in the haulage industry and over 35 years’ experience managing the UK’s fuel.
- Environment – Their solutions enable you to measure and account for fuel usage, to help you improve your fleet efficiency, social responsibility and ultimately reduce your fuel consumption and carbon emissions.
Soldo Fuel Cards
Who are Soldo
Soldo is a financial technology company that offers expense management solutions for businesses. They provide prepaid corporate cards and a comprehensive expense management platform to help businesses streamline their expense processes, gain control over spending, and simplify financial management.
Soldo allows businesses to set customised spending controls and policies for each card. This ensures that employees adhere to spending limits and comply with company expense policies, reducing the risk of overspending or unauthorised expenses.
Soldo provides real-time visibility into spending activities through its reporting and analytics tools. Businesses can access detailed reports, analyse spending patterns, and gain insights to make informed financial decisions.
Features of Soldo
- Reliable – 30,000+ businesses trust Europe’s leading fuel cards platform Soldo
- Complete oversight – Soldo company cards allow you to control who spends company money, how much, on what, and which budget they use.
- Save time – No out-of-pocket spending means no more reimbursements – saving finance teams hours on expense processing.
- Expense management – the expense management platform and mobile app are user-friendly and intuitive.
- Easy integration – Soldo connects with your accounting software so you can track, manage, and report on employee expenses and company spending
Fuel Card Services Fuel Cards
Who are Fuel Card Services
Fuel Card Services is a UK-based company that specialises in providing fuel card solutions for businesses and fleet operators. They offer a range of fuel cards that provide access to fuel stations across the country, helping businesses effectively manage their fuel expenses.
Fuel Card Services offers a variety of fuel cards from different providers, including major fuel brands like BP, Shell, Esso, Texaco, and more. They work with multiple card providers to ensure businesses have access to a wide network of fuel stations.
Fuel Card Services negotiates competitive fuel pricing and discounts with their network of fuel stations. This allows businesses to benefit from cost savings on fuel expenses, helping them better manage their fuel budgets and optimise their operational costs.
In addition, Fuel Card Services has a team of dedicated account managers who provide support and assistance to businesses using their fuel card services. They offer guidance on selecting the right fuel card options, resolving issues, and ensuring smooth account management.
Features of Fuel Card Services
- Service – Detailed and flexible fuel analysis reports available online 24 hours a day
- Convenient – Accepted at around 3,500 sites including a selection of BP, Shell, Esso, Texaco, and select supermarkets
- Coverage – discount diesel also available from Moto motorway service stations
- Savings – Very competitive fixed weekly prices on diesel available at over 3,000 sites across the UK, with up to 10p per litre saving on diesel available at participating motorway sites
- Security – Fuel card use restricted to fuel, lubricants and Adblue
Fuel Cards FAQS
To get a business fuel card, you should do the following:
- Research the best company to suit your needs
- Apply online for your fuel card
- Use your fuel card at a participating forecourt. Use our site locator to find the right place to fill up easily.
- Pay a weekly Direct Debit for the previous week’s fuel.
It depends on the company, but usually, there will be an annual card fee (around £10-£30). This pays itself off, as you then have access to a network of over 3,300 fuel stations across the UK!
Limited Fuel Station Availability is the biggest drawback of a fuel card, as different companies partner with different stations, it can be hard to find a company that has deals with every fuel company across the UK.
Fuel cards in the UK work similarly to a bank card. However, you only use them for buying fuel. You get a PIN for security and use your card to buy on credit. At the end of the week, your company will be charged a single invoice for your entire fleet.
Firstly, you must report to HMRC the full extent of personal use across all your vehicles and employees. You must also report what you pay on form P11D, your end-of-year expenses and benefits report for employees and directors.
No, you can use fuel cards for any type of petrol or diesel. You can also add on features such as car wash or maintenance items, so your employees can save time at a one-stop shop!
In the UK, tax charges will need to be paid if an employee uses their card to fill up with fuel for personal travel. However, a fuel card for business, such as commuting to work, does not classify as a taxable benefit.
Fuel cards are ideal for self-employed/sole traders as they can save you vital time and money and help take the stress out of running a business. Every little bit helps!
Yes, all fuel cards have pins. However, these can be reset if lost or forgotten.
- No need for cash
- Exclusive fuel savings
- Management of fuel spend
- Reduces administrative time
- HMRC approved invoicing
- Payment security
It is important to discuss what fuel companies your potential fuel card company partners with, as these differ from company to company. You should ensure you choose the right one based on your location and driving needs, budget and fuel preferences.
Type of cost
|Approximate price range|
|Annual card fee||
|Application fee||Usually free, although some providers may charge a one off fee|
|Card replacement||Approx £6|
|Invoice requests (e.g. paper or additional copies)||Around £5-£10, usually free|
Fixed-price fuel cards can be cost-effective, especially if you buy a lot of fuel and want to reduce expenses. Some fuel cards let you pay a fixed weekly price to purchase diesel, usually cheaper than advertised pump prices.
Yes, it is a smart company decision to use fuel cards. They can help cut costs, whether you use them for one employee or one hundred.You are able to accurately calculate how much a journey is going to cost you and how much petrol you’ll need per mile, allowing you to plan routes for better fuel efficiency.
This varies, but around 10p per litre, making them a great way to improve company efficiency and cut costs.
If you want to save between 3-10p per litre on petrol and diesel. Whether you have a fleet of cars, electric vehicles, HGVS or vans, this results in big long-term savings.
Firstly, you must observe an advance notice period. Sending a letter requesting the cancellation of your account via registered mail with an acknowledgement of receipt is strongly advised.
Fuel cards make fuel management much more efficient and less time-consuming, allowing you to manage your expenses whilst keeping your finances separate, so they are the ideal solution for the self-employed.
Like a regular credit card, fuel card companies will take a small portion of each purchase (typically 2%-3%) via an agreement with the fuel providers. Therefore, they make money through a small cut from every purchase.
Other useful links…
- Where Can I Use a UK Fuels Card?
- What Petrol Stations Accept Key Fuel Cards?
- How Does an Esso Fuel Card Work?
- How to Get a Fuel Card For Your Fleet
- How Do Fuel Cards Save Fleets Money?
- Can Anyone Get a Fuel Card?
- Where Can I Buy a Fuel Gift Card in the UK?
- How to Get a Fuel Card For Personal Use in the UK
- How to Get a Fuel Card for Your Trucking Business in the UK
- Where Can I Use An All-Star Fuel Card in 2023?
- How to Get a Fuel Card For Your Business
- Why Are Fuel Cards Good For Businesses?
- How Does A Company Fuel Card Work?
- Why Are Fuel Cards Good For Businesses?
- How Much Tax Do You Pay on a Company Fuel Card?
- 5 Advantages of Using a Fuel Card for a Business Fleet
- How Does A Company Fuel Card Work?
- Should I Get a Fuel Card As a Sole Trader?
- Which Fuel Card is Best For Your Fleet?
- Do Tesco Take Fuel Cards?
- Where Can I Use a Texaco Fast Fuel Card?
- Which Fuel Card is Best For Your Business?
- Shell Fuel Cards - Do Morrisons Accept Shell Fuel Cards?
- Do Tesco Take Fuel Cards?
- Advantages of Using a Fuel Card for a Business Fleet
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Fuel Cards
- Does Morrisons Accept Shell Fuel Cards?
- Where Can I Use Fast Fuel Cards?
- Is it Worth Getting a Fuel Card?
- The Pros and Cons of Fuel Cards
- Are Fuel Cards Just For Businesses?
- Where Can I Use Fast Fuel Cards?
- Why Are Fuel Cards Good For Businesses?
- How Does A Company Fuel Card Work?
- How Do I Claim Fuel For My Small Business?
- What Companies Are Best Suited For Fuel Cards
- Can a Limited Company Get a Fuel Card?
- How Do I Claim Petrol Expenses For My Small Business?
- What is the Best Fuel Card For Small Businesses?
- Shell Fuel Cards and Company History
- Allstar Fuel Cards Review
- Esso Fuel Cards For Business Fleets
- BP Fuel Cards and Company History
- Choosing The Best Fuel Transport Tank
- Which Supermarket Fuel Cards Are Right For Your Business?
- Factors to Consider When Comparing Fuel Cards
- Are Prepaid Fuel Cards Right For Your Company?
- Benefits of Fuel Cards for Business
- Morrisons Fuel Cards & Alternatives
- How to Use a Texaco Fuel Card
- Allstar Fuel Card, Allstar One Fuel, and Allstar One Electric
- The Best Fuel Card Suppliers
- The Right Fuelcard Company
- Advantages of a Shell Fuel Card for Business Owners
- UK Fuels Fuel Cards and Alternatives
- What You Should Know About Asda Fuel Cards
- Keyfuels Fuel Card Prices & Alternatives
- How to Get an Esso Fuel Card in 2023
- Husk Fuel Card: Is it a Good Fit For Your Fleet?