Fire Extinguisher Disposal and Recycling Costs February 2024
Fire extinguishers can be hazardous waste and must be disposed of properly to prevent further exposure to harmful chemicals. Before disposal, all fluid, foam, and carbon dioxide content should be emptied from your fire extinguisher. Please click here for more information and pricing on commercial waste.
Fire Extinguisher Disposal Costs
The cost of disposing of a fire extinguisher can vary depending on the type of extinguisher, its size, and the company you use for disposal. Fire extinguishers contain different types of chemicals or agents to put out fires, and some of these materials are hazardous and require special handling and disposal procedures. Therefore, it’s important to ensure that the extinguisher is disposed of properly.
In general, the cost of disposing of a fire extinguisher can range from £5 to £30 per unit, depending on the size, type, and the company you use for disposal. It’s important to note that some companies may charge additional fees if the extinguisher needs to be transported a long distance or if special handling is required.
Suppose you’re unsure about how to dispose of a fire extinguisher or are concerned about the cost. In that case, it’s a good idea to contact a professional waste management company or your local council for advice. They can guide the proper disposal of fire extinguishers and any associated costs.
Fire Extinguisher Disposal UK
The proper disposal of fire extinguishers in the UK depends on the type of extinguisher and its contents. Here are some guidelines to follow:
- Water fire extinguishers: These extinguishers are generally safe to dispose of in regular household waste, as long as they are completely empty and the discharge nozzle has been removed. The discharged water can be allowed to evaporate or dried up with a towel.
- Foam fire extinguishers: Foam fire extinguishers should be taken to a hazardous waste disposal site or a licensed waste carrier for disposal. These extinguishers contain chemicals that can be harmful to the environment if not disposed of properly.
- Powder fire extinguishers: Powder fire extinguishers should also be taken to a hazardous waste disposal site or a licensed waste carrier for disposal. The powder used in these extinguishers can be harmful if ingested or inhaled and can contaminate the environment.
Fire Extinguisher Regulations
Disposing of fire extinguishers in the UK should be done in accordance with the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) regulations. Here are a few options:
- Contact the manufacturer: The fire extinguisher manufacturer may offer a disposal service, which can be a convenient option. Contact them directly to inquire about their disposal services.
- Local council: Your local council may have a hazardous waste collection service that can take care of fire extinguishers. Check your local council’s website or contact them directly to see if they offer this service.
- Private companies: Some private companies specialise in disposing hazardous waste, including fire extinguishers. You can search for these companies online and contact them for more information.
- Recycling centres: Some recycling centres may accept fire extinguishers. Check with your local recycling centre to see if they accept them and any requirements for disposal.
It’s important to note that fire extinguishers should not be disposed of in regular household waste or recycling bins, as they can be hazardous and potentially dangerous. It’s recommended to follow proper disposal methods to ensure the environment’s and others’ safety.
Fire Extinguisher Disposal Companies UK
There are many waste management companies in the UK that specialise in the disposal of fire extinguishers. Here are some examples:
- Safelincs – This company provides a fire extinguisher disposal service for both commercial and residential customers. They can arrange for the collection and disposal of all types of fire extinguishers, including CO2, powder, and foam extinguishers.
- Fire Protection Online – This company offers a disposal service for all types of fire extinguishers, including water, foam, powder, and CO2 extinguishers. They can arrange for collection from your premises and provide you with the necessary paperwork for compliance.
- Fire Crest Fire Protection – This company specialises in fire safety equipment and offers a fire extinguisher disposal service. They can collect your old or unwanted extinguishers and dispose of them in an environmentally friendly manner.
- Fire and Safety Solutions – This company provides a fire extinguisher disposal service for commercial and industrial customers. They can arrange for collecting and disposing all fire extinguishers, including those containing hazardous materials.
- First Choice Fire Protection – This company offers a fire extinguisher disposal service for both commercial and residential customers. They can arrange for collecting and disposing of all fire extinguishers, including CO2, powder, foam, and water extinguishers.
It’s important to ensure that the company you choose for fire extinguisher disposal is licensed and accredited to handle hazardous materials and has experience in disposing of fire extinguishers.
Fire Extinguishers: Are They Hazardous?
Fire extinguishers are classified as hazardous waste because they contain pressurised chemicals that can explode under certain circumstances. To dispose of them properly, you must first depressurise them. This should be done by a professional or by your local fire department.
Fire Extinguisher – Learn more about UK business waste statistics here
Fire Extinguisher – Other useful links from our Commercial Waste Centre
Why You Should Rent a Commercial Dumpster
Commercial Waste Collection Hull
Commercial Waste Collection Keighley
Remember to Compare Your Business Costs is here to help your business every step of the way from business advice, or saving you time and money on your business purchases such as:
Ally Cox is a dedicated Copywriter and Blogger for CompareYourBusinessCosts.co.uk. In under two years, the platform achieved the esteemed accolade of ‘Website of the Year’. Since its award-winning debut, Ally has been instrumental in fostering organic growth for the website, expanding its offerings to encompass comparisons across a diverse range of over 20 products to help serve all your business needs.